Friday, December 30, 2005

Global Happiness

Is Global Happiness really possible? Is it fair to pray for? This was the question that was entering my head as I went to bed last night. Now, this is not a post about me wishing for global happiness. I have long put my beauty queen days behind me. The question is simply, is it possible for everyone everywhere to be happy?

Sadly, I believe my conclusion is no. I think it has to do with 'happiness'. It is a word that is defined by every individual on their own. Or, better put, happiness is a personal thing, and each person finds happiness in their own way. I fear that too many people define happiness in terms of others instead of in terms of what they themselves really need.

One could say that then global happiness could be achieved by all, if everyone's definition of happiness were defined in terms of self vs. Relative to society. I have two problems with this. First, this would mean that before we could have global happiness we would have to have global enlightenment (which is something that I fear is far more difficult than making people happy). Second, we would have to share an elightenment, as in the enlightenment would force people to all think similarly. This restricts peoples freedoms, and thus I believe it is wrong.

Sorry to bring up a sad topic, but yeah, I just wanted to say my piece and I hope people can convince me otherwise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home